July 16, 2007

Goats: Part Two

Rich and Capricorn

They survived!!

I am happy to report that Rich and the goats have safely returned from their high adventure backpacking trip. Hooray! Whew!! So the question on everyone's mind is.....

To goat? Or not to goat?....that is the question.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer to that question myself. Rich has admitted that, although they do come in handy carrying your pack, the work that goes into taking care of the goats (especially the evil white goat) possibly outweighed the benefits.

Mr. Evil himself: Capricorn

Some of the goat highlights of his trip:

-A goat jumping out of the trailer and getting hung upside down.

-Taking 3 hours to hike the first 2 miles because whitey wouldn't budge.

-The goats waking Rich up in the middle of the night, their little bells ringing like mad, and discovering that they had gotten themselves into what Rich described as a "goat knot".

-The evil white goat head butting a rangers innocent granddaughter and Rich when he was returning the goats to their home.

-The goats gettting into a fight and head butting each other with their horns. Fight! Fight! Fight!

-The brown goat and Rich bonded : ) and while they were hiking out, the brown goat would stop, turn around and "BLEEEE" at Rich, and wait for him to catch up. How cute!

-Rich made sure the mean white goat was weighed down with most of the weight on their way out, while brownie was lightly packed. That'll teach him!

Other than the goat issues, and the fact that he was really sick up there the whole time, I think it was a good experience for him. I'm sure glad he's back! We figure his goat nightmares (hearing their little bells ringing, some dream about their owner dying and bequeathing the goats to Rich) should go away in a few weeks....let's hope!

The Hikers

6 comments:

Marcy said...

Sounds like an adventure. I love how the eyes on the white goat even look evil in the picture. Hey, did Rich avoid all contacts with faded midget rattlesnakes? I hope so!

Betsy said...

Not everyone can say they have been back packing with a goat! That sounds like quite the adventure! P.s. I've been looking around for the Canon 28-105 F 1.6, and don't see it anywhere. Did I get it right?? Just wondering. Betsy

Anonymous said...

BLEEEE!

Camille said...

looks fun! I think that I'm going to have nightmares about that goat picture. Good thing you let us know how it went so that next time that I wanted to rent goats to go backpacking I'd think twice. BTW- How's Rich's head?

hayleyharts said...

I knew people used mules to pack..but I did know goats were an option too! I am glad Rich is back so you don't have to sleep by your self at night..I HATE THAT!!

Betsy said...

Veronica, the Tutu was easy... All you do is measure the elastic to fit her waist, cut the fabric into strips about 2-3 inches wide, and the width of the fabric. Then fold the strip in half, and then in half again. Put the fabric up to the elastic so that the free ends are up, and the looped end is down, and then fold the free ends down over the elastic, and then put them through the loop, and pull tight. Do that over and over again, until the whole elastic is covered. I used 2 yards of fabric. I hope that makes sense, it's easy to do, but really hard to explain.