January 23, 2012

Big Girl Bed

We've shaken things up a little at the Reeve home.  In preparation for Jack's transition to the crib in his own room upstairs (Hazel's room), we've decided it was time to put Sophie and Hazel together in a room, with Hazel in a big bed.

Bed transition.  In my opinion, the hardest transition of them all.  Sippy cup, binki, and toilet training have nothing on the freedom that comes from the big girl bed.

So our new set up is:  Jack still in the bassinet with us (he's not sleeping through the night yet so I'm not about to put him upstairs and be making the trek up there every night), Lilia is in a bed in Hazel's room and enjoying her new solo status, and Sophie and Hazel are bunking up.

And I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with how things are going.  We tried Hazel in the big girl bed a few months ago, and when we had a 3:00 in the morning cheery voice "Hello Mommy" come and visit we gave up and put her back in the crib.  This time, though, crib is put away, and we are not looking back.  Hazel is doing surprisingly well.  The first two nights she went right to sleep without a peep.  On the third day we left her with a babysitter to be put to bed and things didn't go so well.  The next couple of nights were a struggle.  Rich tried to lay down with her, but every time he tried to sneek away she'd scream, and we decided we didn't want her to get used to us laying by her to sleep every night.  The next night I took my turn (Rich is a bit of a softie) and I had to use some firm parenting to get her to bed.

We've learned the key is to talk about all the fun things we'll do when she wakes up.  It seems to distract her enough to get her to not try to get out of bed.  Things are getting progressively better.  She loves her "big girl" status that comes with the bed, she's learned to whisper (thank goodness!  Now maybe we can make it through church!), and although we've caught her playing in the bonus room when she should be sleeping, most nights she lays in bed quietly until she falls asleep.

(cue Hallelujah chorus)

I'm crossing my fingers that the worst is behind us.  Now on to potty training.  I think she's getting closer to being ready.  I'll find her walking around the house sans-diaper and her diaper taken off next to the toilet.  She sits up on the toilet, gets off and wipes, and flushes.  She's just missing the key ingredient:  actually going bathroom.  What I wouldn't give for one less diaper to change!!  Crossing my fingers, be sure to send good potty training vibes my way.....

Here are a few photos of little Hazel with her big girl bed.  Makes me kind of sad :( to see how big she's getting:



7 comments:

danielleshupe said...

I love ,love this spunky little girl!

Sharstin said...

oh the big bed transition can be a tough one! glad she is doing well--hope potty training goes as smoothly! i love these picts:) she is darling~
ps- i have that shirt for Z--and had to get the yellow one for Nora--so cute! don't you love having the gap outlet so close?

Street Fam said...

I could eat her up! She is so cute!

Camille said...

Hazel is so cute! Congratulations on the big bed!

Leslie said...

I'm glad the big girl bed is working out. Hazel looks so grown up in those pictures you took! I am dreading potty training--I think the twins will be in diapers until they are five, well maybe just until this summer. I'm not in a big hurry this time.

Lflinders said...

Halle has that same bed..it is adorable & so is she

Jill T said...

She's darling! What a cute big sister.