June 17, 2012

Coach Pitch - Go Giants!

This year Lili signed up for Coach Pitch Baseball.  We were looking forward to good times at the baseball field, singing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game", eating hot dogs, and rooting for our team.  But unfortunately Lili only played two games before calling it quits.

The first problem was that she didn't know anyone on her team, which she felt bad about.  Last year she had some neighborhood kids and kids from school on her team.   She normally makes friends easily but that leads us to problem two, she was the only girl on her team.  That made her feel uncomfortable.  The silly boys would tease her and be crazy and she'd stand in the dugout alone at the end of the bench.  Some teams I saw had up to five girls on their team.  Couldn't they have switched one or two boys so she didn't have to be the only girl?

I have to say, though, she was better than 90% of the boys on the team.  Most of them had to hit off the T but Lili hit off her coach every time and she also played short stop really well.

The straw that broke the camels back was when she thought she was up to bat last (which for the record she always had been the last hitter and the assistant coach even told her she was the last hitter so  she should run all the bases into home).  So she hit the ball, and ran, and ran, and ran.  Past her teammates still standing on their bases and all the way home.  She was not the last hitter.  When she realized her mistake she tried to be brave and laugh it off, but her eyes filled up with tears and I could tell she wanted to crawl in a hole.   We tried to twist the story around to make her feel better, "You just turned a single into a home run!" but she wasn't having it and so our baseball season came to a screeching halt.  Maybe we'll try again next year, I think she has some great potential.


2 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm impressed that Lili is even willing to try coach pitch. I like the story about Lili running all the bases, I would have loved to have been there. I'm thinking of getting Thomas into baseball when he's in 2nd grade.

Libby said...

Bah! Who needs those lame dudes anyway? I say she gets a T for trying!!

Also-love that fire pit action...hint, hint, hint.