
So, looking back now that Sophie is almost a year, and doing physical therapy for gross motor delay, I have to wonder.....Why?
.
I've loved my Bumbo and got it for Sophie when she was only 3 months old (see Bumbo). She looked so cute in it! Heck, I still put Sophie in the Bumbo when she eats and if I need her up on the counter. It's been so convenient and, since shes 11 months old and still using it, I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth. But I have to wonder, are some of Sophie's delays BECAUSE I've put Sophie in the Bumbo since she was 3 months old.? She's never had to worry about falling over, sitting up on her own, or putting pressure on her legs since I'd just put her in the self-supporting Bumbo.
.
.
I talked to Sophie's physical therapist about it today. She can't say one way or the other if the Bumbo hindered Sophie's progression, but it sure didn't help it. She said the best thing for a baby's physical development, is just to be on the floor, not in a swing, a jumper, or a Bumbo.
.So, will I use the Bumbo for my next baby? Probably not. I've just relied on it too much. I know that there are other reasons why Sophie is a bit behind, but I just have to wonder if I've made it worse. Mother's guilt I guess.
4 comments:
I'm glad you posted that. I was considering buying one for my next. Hmm...I think I am going to reconsider.
Oh, glad to see a bumbo from this perspective....I may not want one so badly anymore!!
I've had friends worry about getting a Bumbo b/c of those reasons. We probably all have too many contraptions for our kids these days. I do have to say though, the Bumbo is a wonderful high chair..and doesn't take up too much space.
I am so glad you posted that because I was thinking that would be a fun new toy for baby number 3. I had no idea Sophie was delayed. I guess we'll have to chat. I'll give you a call soon, okay?
Post a Comment