December 2, 2007

VanCott Christmas Party

Every year Rich and I look forward to the annual VanCott Christmas party. It's always at the Salt Lake City Country Club, and it's very "classy", if you will. We get to dress up in fancy clothes (which we haven't done since we went to our own high school dances) and go hob-nob with the Salt Lake attorneys for a night. I'm always very impressed with the all the older refined VanCott shareholders and their wives dressed like they are the elite of Salt Lake. With their wrinkle-free skin, beautiful dresses, exquisite jewelry, and glasses of champagne-although I feel out of place-it's fun to be part of, if not for one night.

We've never been able to stay very long at these parties. Usually we've had a baby at home waiting for us. Last night was the first time we were able to stay for the after dinner entertainment.....and boy, were we in for a surprise!!!

The entertainment was a "dueling pianos" show. It started out normal. The pianists were loud and annoying but the audience responded to their music with polite applause and courteous laughter. What you'd expect from a bunch of attorneys. But then, something changed....I'm not sure what the song was, maybe "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown," but a strange thing happened. One of the old ladies at the Board of Directors table stood up and started flapping her arms like a bird. "Oh my goodness, that woman is dancing, or at least attempting to" I thought to myself. She grabbed another one of the older refined ladies next to her and they started to dance together. A couple of secretaries on the table next to ours got up and started dancing. And that is all. Only a couple people, with the help of alcohol, I'm sure, dancing while we all sat and stared. I think they were expecting everyone to get up and join them, but no one did. It was an awkward moment.

I don't know if it was when the board of directors were dressed up like The Village People dancing to YMCA or when one of the larger, and obviously inebriated, secretaries stood up on stage and started shakin' it to "Baby Got Back", but we decided that enough was enough.

Wow, I'm SO GLAD that we stayed this year. When I think of the images in my mind, it brings a smile to my face. Anyone who thinks that attorney's don't know how to party are gravely, gravely mistaken.

11 comments:

Kelly said...

What an exciting night. Alcohol always makes for better work parties--especially when dancing is involved. Zak's party is this week, I really hope our after dinner entertainment isn't the "Saliva Sisters" like last year......I'll keep you posted!!

Linds said...

Vern,
I think I can understand where you are coming from. Each month when I travel out of state to conventions, this is usually how the evening ends up! I love it, it makes for great entertainment!

Jocelyn Vance said...

Veronica, that sounds like a party, but it kind of reminds me of the Iowa foot-ball games that you described to us once. Anyway, I also loved reading your facts about yourself. I don't think I could come up with that many.

Street Fam said...

Oh wow!! Can't wait for next year!When I read the word "classy" it made me nervous...I'm just a 24 year old who usually wears jeans and t-shirts all day! Uh oh!

danielleshupe said...

Vero , you are a master writer ! You could be the Erma Bombeck of the 21 th century ! Please keep writing . I love you !

Jen said...

Wow, I have a feeling that Stoel Rives party can not even come close to that! I will have to let you know after we attend next week.

Amy said...

Mark's party is this weekend and I have a feeling that the blue collar work force may put the attorneys to shame. Can't wait.

Abbie said...

HAHA!! That is the best! Sounds highly entertaining.. My work xmas party is tonight and my fingers are crossed that someone has a few too many drinks, busts out the crazy dance moves, sings drunk karaoke, and maybe if i'm lucky try to make out with the president of the company- it provides months of laughter and blackmailing in the office ;) My camera is ready :)

Kristen said...

That is fantastic! Rob and I have to come up with some sort of a work party. Maybe we should just crash one where they are serving some of the bubbly. I was literally laughing out loud. You're hilarious!

Camille said...

Hi Vern! I'm linking to everyone through Lindsey's blog. It's fun to see what everyone is up to. Will you email me your email address? camillebush@gmail.com My husband is in law school and it appears yours finished last year right?
Camille (Cook) Bush

Heidi Berry said...

Phil's work party is Friday night. Unfortunately for us, it is an alcohol free event. So the entertainment will in no way rival the entertainment from your party. I wish you would've had a video camera.