April 23, 2008

Paper or Plastic?

From my title you'd probably think that this posting is a salute to Earth Day. It's not. I've been in a blog funk lately. You know the one. When you ask yourself...."What do I possibly have to blog about. My life is boring." We've all gone through it. So....to get me out of my blog funk I've decided to post about little things in my life that maybe looking down the road I'll want to remember, but would totally forget about if they weren't written down.

In keeping with my blog title, "The Wonderful Adventures of Lili Bean and Sofa Pia", I've decided to jot down my typical trip to the grocery store with the girls, which is so NOT typical, and quite comical when I reflect on it.

When the dreaded job of grocery shopping comes around, I like to frequent two stores. Costco and Maceys. Lili refers to these stores by the color of the sign.

Lili:"Mom are we going to the rouge store or the bleu store?" (she still says her colors in French)

She can tell me the color of any store that we go to. "No mommy, Costco is the rouge and bleu store." And she is right. Costco's sign is red and blue. Call me crazy...I don't notice these things.

So when we get there, Lili usually insists on riding up front with Sophie. You have got to love those lovely two seater carts (note sarcasm). This results in me acting as referee for the majority of the shopping trip, and leaving the store with absolutely nothing I came for, upset, and usually with two screaming children.

On a good day (when Lili sits in the bottom of the cart) all I have to deal with is Sophie taking off her shoes and throwing them overboard. Repeatedly. When I finally learn my lesson and don't give her the shoe back she turns to other things.....my purse, car keys, the Costco card, her binky, or various food items. She laughs and laughs as I stop mid-isle to rescue the item, and more often then not, my back side gets rammed into by another shoppers cart. Lovely.

When we go to Macey's it's always the same thing. Lili scans the parking lot for the HUGE "car" shopping carts and insists on riding in them. At Macey's they are hard to come by. And if we happen to find one that doesn't have the steering wheel broken off, we are in luck. Steering those things is a NIGHTMARE. Especially if you are short (like me). I can't count how many people I've rammed into. Oh, and the germs that must live on those things. Barf-O!

If I am lucky, we can actually go to the grocery store without Lili seeing a homeless man and yelling out "Jesus!" or "Santa Clause." Loudly, might I add.

And, like most mothers, I can not go to the store without being bombarded with requests.

Lili: "Ooooh mommy! I NEED that! Can I please have that? PPPPLLLEEEAAASSEE!" Over and over and over and over.

And in between my "No, Lili, maybe another day" and my "SOPHIE!! No, No, No!" when Sophie is licking the shopping cart (which causes her to immediately burst into tears, which causes shoppers to turn to look as if I'm abusing my child), I somehow manage to leave the store with absolutely nothing I need. That is my excuse anyway.

Awww...how can I not loving going grocery shopping??! I remember the days when me and Rich were first married and we'd grocery shop together. Alone. I'm getting a little teary-eyed just thinking about it.

5 comments:

Camille said...

that was awesome....those are the times when you wish that you could leave them in the car while you run inside....(like the good ol' days). Now you have to worry about an old ninny calling the cops on you if you try that stunt..(this happened to a sister of law of mine. Now she has a criminal record as a child neglecter) I don't think children have really grown up unless they spent at least an hour in the car while waiting for their parents buy grocery items.

Libby said...

I'm terrified of the grocery store now that I've got Levi. I refuse to go without Peter. The two times that I've gone I-a) got barfed on and b) had to chase produce through the store because magically my son managed to swat it out of my hand. Fun times.

Heidi Berry said...

At least you go to the grocery store. I have pretty much sworn it off. I either go late at night or send Phil. I've even started looking into ordering groceries from Albertsons.com. The delivery prices aren't too bad...it might be worth it. :)

Linds said...

This was HILARIOUS. I look forward to the days when Bentley does not sit in her seat sleeping. Those are the days when I leave her home with Brade!!

Jen said...

Wow, thanks for the birth control:)