June 24, 2008

I See Counseling In Your Future....

Photobucket

Our poor, poor, child. What have we done?

A Little Background: If given the opportunity, I don't think Lili would EVER go to sleep. If we didn't put her to bed at night, she would probably have enough energy to last all day, every day....getting grumpier and grumpier until one day she snapped and we'd all feel the wrath of a sleepy Lili. She has some very creative stall tactics that she breaks out every night. When she feels like they aren't working any more she derives a new scheme. It's a wonderful creative outlet for her.....and so pleasant for her two sleepy parents who just want some time to relax and enjoy each others company sans children.

Anyway, last night I was out late taking pictures and so Rich was in charge of putting the girls down for bed. When I got home he told me to be sure to peak in to Lili's room. He had promised her that I would say goodnight to her. When I went in the room, there was Lili...completely wrapped up in her sheets and blankets. Hmmmm....strange. Her room was pretty hot and here she was wrapped like an egg roll. Very odd. I went over and touched her arm. I wasn't sure if she was awake.

She JUMPED. Then a little voice from inside the blankets asked, "Sandman?"

Yes...yes....it is all coming out now. In desperation, we have come up with our own little tactics to combat Lili's nighttime stall routine. It involves several key characters...

Sandman....who comes to your room at night and sprinkles sand in your eyes if you aren't sleeping.

Cold Bugs.....when the weather is cold, these little guys come and bite you if you don't stay in your covers or if you sleep on the floor.

Box Monster....a small monster with a big temper. This guy will squish you like a box if you don't listen to your mommy and daddy. Want proof? Come see the squished box in the window well of our basement. That was squished by the box monster. Oh, but he is nice and brings treats if you listen to your parents.

Toy Monster....he flies over your house at night smelling for toys that haven't been put away. Then he eats them (the toys, not the child).

Ok, ok, I know this is sad and probably not healthy. I think last night when I heard Lili's frightened voice from below the covers it made me stop and realize how trusting and sweet and innocent she is.

And so......although making mention of any of these "monsters" causes Lili to go to bed in a timely manner, and she's so cute and curious about them, I guess I won't use them anymore. Well, only if it's a desperate situation.

P.S. I know about 1/2 of you reading this are shaking your heads in disgust and about ready to call DCFS, the other half, I'm guessing, are taking out notepads and jotting down notes.

13 comments:

Kelly said...

Notes it is for me! I haven't even thought about trying any of those scare tactics! You guys have great imaginations!! I LOVE that she was wrapped up egg roll style. Landon does that too--but he really is asleep! I am going to try the toy monster one for sure!!

Nicole said...

I'm the half taking notes as well! Maybe we could use some sort of "potty monster" in our house. I like the box monster one.

Anonymous said...

Ooo...I am so stealing your idea. I wonder if there are any monsters we can come up with that involve doing the dishes, vaccuming, doing laundry, etc. ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm taking notes too! I especially like the toy monster--I get sick of picking up toys because they refuse to, and I don't want to step on them in the dark if I go to check on them in the middle of the night!

Heidi Berry said...

I am laughing so hard. That is the cutest thing I have ever heard. She is too sweet. I think most of us have used the same tactics... we used the "Binky Beast" with Abram to get rid of his binky. Worked like a charm. Whatever works, I say!

kendra said...

Don't worry we have monsters at our house too but mean monsters don't come to "HAPPY" houses and if you want your house to be happy - DO WHAT I SAY!!!! He He - I just wish it was so easy. At least you don't tell her the witch is going to get her if she doesn't listen like another of my friends does... Now that's scary!

Camille said...

Yeah there's a monster in our house too but it's not that I volunteered for the job, or thought it up, I've been nominated by my kids. I'm the mother of all monsters, so if my kids don't go to bed on time, I just tie them up. It's easier that way.....

Unknown said...

That's the entire reason I am scared to take Hailee out of her crib and get her a real bed. I don't think she will ever sleep or stay in bed. I am thinking about telling her the floor is hot lava once the lights go out, that might at least keep her in bed.

Libby said...

Oh the monster mash! By the way, I did call DCFS and they will be over to terminate your monster population in a few days!!

vanessa said...

Hey, whatever works. I took some very detailed notes if anyone needs to borrow them!

Bree said...

I took notes. But, great minds think alike because we have totally used the toy monster thing, except that I think I called it the 'toy fairy', a little less scary than a monster. But I think those are genius ideas. hats off!

Kristen said...

Fantastic! You should feel no shame in scaring your children into doing...whatever. Here in this household we don't need monsters. They have a little person they like to call "Mommy". Yeah, she turns into the scarriest monster if you tick her off, so you'd better stay in bed or else...

LeAnn said...

I wish that my pictures of my kids looked as great as yours do....you have such a gift, even when you are doing little at home shots! Your kids are lucky to have such cute pictures! I love the story!!