July 17, 2008

Banjos, Birkenstocks, and Snow Capped Mountains...

What do these things have in common?

The Annual Utah Folk and Bluegrass Festival at Snowbird, of course! Awwww yeah!
.
This year VanCott's associate retreat was to go up to Snowbird, hike, stay in a nice resort, and attend the festival. And boy oh boy, it was good times had by all!
.
First of all, I must preface by saying that my Shupe side of the family are major Bluegrass Musicians (I bumped into my uncle, auntie, and cousins while we were there)...I'm talking national champions with various musical instruments. I have so many memories of family get-togethers growing up where everyone (I'm not exaggerating, EVERY ONE of my cousins can play multiple instruments) would bring their instruments and it was one big bluegrass ho-down, with Grandma Shupe at the piano. Unfortunately, I was the baby of all the cousins and they kind of gave up by the time they got to me, so sometimes they'd give me a tambourine to play (aka tap against my leg and try to feel like I was contributing). Good times. Good times.
.
Anyhoo, back on track. We had a great time hiking in the mountains above Snowbird. I don't mind snow when it's on the tippy tops of the mountains in July. :)
.
Photobucket
{OK guys, back up...looks good....back up a little more....perfect!"}
.
Photobucket
{Baby Ben came along for the fun}
.
Photobucket
{Incoming!}
.
Then we rocked out all night to some very cool, very talented musicians. Yep, we stayed out till midnight. Because....we were child-less so we could...AND....we're crazy like that.
Photobucket
{Chatham Country Line...so cool. I actually met these guys with my cousin after they performed...Ok, actually it wasn't hard...they were just next to the cd tent signing cds}
...
An all-around great weekend get away. It was fun to have Will, Sunny. and Ben around for their second Associate retreat. No worries Ben, you didn't cramp our style. But hey....don't be surprised if you see me and Rich wearing tie dye, unshowered, unshaven, strumming a guitar outside our house, while I twirl around like a fairy princess. I learned some great moves during those concerts.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

That looks fun. That company treats you well! I would love to see some pictures of your fairy princess moves!

Camille said...

ummm...gave up on you? I think mom and dad shelled out a lot of money for those piano lessons. Let's not pull the "I'm the baby" trick out of the hat, it's not going to work, not this time. I do think it would be a cool idea if you and Rich and the babies decide that the "country" life is for you. Why don't you bring that "tambourine" with you while you go camping. You can entertain the folks with your skills, and then you guys can play charades, my bet is on Rich winning it all.

Bree said...

WOW..sounds so fun! I love when I get a child-less get away. They are so great. Glad you had fun!