June 2, 2011

Cubs


This year we decided to start Lilia in TBall.  I say start...this first year very well may be the last year but we'll see what happens.  She is on a co-ed team, with a whole bunch of rowdy little boys and Lili and one other girl.  She insists on wearing a skirt to every game,  which I allow, the chances of her sliding are non-existent.  I've come to a few conclusions while watching her games:

1.  TBall for kindergarteners is hilarious.  My favorite part, when every single player in the outfield runs after the ball.  It's like watching a feeding frenzy.  Also, when the opposing team (on base) goes off of their base to chase after the ball that their own teammate hit.

2.  It's totally normal and okay for little boys to cry at this age.  How much longer will this be acceptable?  It's cute, and nobody tells them to toughen up, or crying is for girls, and their mom comes and scoops them up and carries them away without getting teased by their friends.  Why do they have to grow up?

3.  Lili takes after me.  I played softball when I was little but I had a few "secret weapons".  

a) if you stand in the outfield with your legs planted in the ground (maybe with a look of determination and your knees bent to fool them), someone will always run over and pick up the ball for you. 

b) if you are up to bat and you never swing the bat, most likely you'll be walked to base.  At a recreation level, the odds are in your favor.  (she's not old enough to use that one yet, but I'm sure she'll learn if she keeps at it)

She is having fun and is learning the basic rules of the game.  I don't know if I see a softball Letterman's Jacket in her future but she just might surprise us.