A. Veronica has vowed to never own a dog
B. Veronica is allergic to dogs
C. Veronica has a severe case of "Cynophobia" - an abnormal fear of dogs (because of a vicious attack she sustained as a child)
D. Veronica has never once had any sort of attachment/admiration for/desire to snuggle/feelings of kindness/love for a dog
E. All of the above
Well, if you guessed E, then you are RIGHT! Well then how do you explain THIS!

Meet Winnie, our new dog.
She's a Dachshund, a.k.a "Wiener Dog" or sometimes referred to as a "Hot Dog"
She's a Dachshund, a.k.a "Wiener Dog" or sometimes referred to as a "Hot Dog"

Crazy, right? Rich brought her home last Friday and he and the girlies are in LOVE. Now, to give Rich some credit, he didn't just surprise us all with a dog, knowing full well the answer to the quiz above. I actually consented to the purchase...begrudgingly, but none the less. Rich has always wanted a Dachshund. He had one as a child growing up and loves them. We are getting a fence up in the yard, and he happened to see her sweet mug in the classifieds and thought now was the time. Somehow he convinced me and now here we are, the owner of not just one pet, but two. Oh brother.
I have to admit. She's cute. She is well behaved, practically already potty trained, and doesn't make too much noise. My night's sleep hasn't been interrupted (although Rich can't claim the same), and I haven't had to take care of her at all because Rich and the girls are doing a great job at it. She lives in the basement and isn't allowed to roam free, and as soon as she is fully potty trained we will put a doggy door downstairs and she will live downstairs/outside full time.
Will I grow to love Winnie? Time will tell. But you better believe I already have her Halloween costume picked out.

Anyone else out there go from doggy-hater to doggy-lover? Any other dog advice?
(No horror stories allowed)
6 comments:
Okay, I am not a dog lover at all...but she is one cute puppy!!! You are a good wife. Not sure if I will ever be convinced by Will. I once told him I had to be 30 years old before we got a dog...but that's 2 yrs. away and seems too soon. Maybe you'll be the one to convince me. :)
She is adorable. I'm not the dog owning type, but I do get twinges every once in a while. The part about her living downstairs and outside full time will be the part that makes it all ok. I'm sure you will love her eventually =0). How could you not, she looks cuddly even from here =0). Good Luck!
As a dog hater myself - i have to admit she is pretty cute. Luckily my husband despises dogs as much if not more than me, so i'm hoping i will never run into that predicament. i'm sure your love for her will grow when one of your girls steps in pooh in the yard and tracks it all over your house. sorry - couldn't help myself :)
Also a dog hater! I already have 2 "puppies" to clean up after!
Right now, Zak and I are on the same page for no dogs. BUT--he grew up with one, so only time will tell!
She is pretty dang cute for a HOT DOG doggie!!
What's this, I get to comment?! Yay!!
Unfortunately, as you know, I don't have ANY love for dogs. Except hot dogs. I do quite like those. Oh, and corn dogs...possibly the greatest invention to have any type of association to the word "dog".
Hang in there galsy. Maybe I'll just have to bring you a corn dog to help smooth things over with the real dog. Or would that be uncouth, in the dog's eyes?
Oh Veronica, my friend, I truly know what you are going through. We got Elphie on a "trial basis" to see how we (I) would do with a dog, and that was 3 years ago! Hang in there- it was hard for awhile but definitely got easier. I am not a dog lover at all, but I like our dog now. Hoping the love part will still kick in at some point. :)
Post a Comment