A week later back at home I tried to give Hazel a peanut butter sandwich and she spit it right out, and immediately got a rash on her face again. I started thinking back on other peanut encounters she's had in her short life and realized that maybe we had a peanut allergy problem.
My sister Leslie's little boy has peanut allergies and when I asked her how she found out about them, his symptoms seemed very familiar to Hazel's. We decided it would be best to take her to the allergist. Better safe then sorry.
After doing a "scratch test" on Hazel's back they discovered that she is allergic to peanuts, and mildly allergic to eggs. They prescribed an Epi-pen for her and said to avoid peanuts all together and watch her to make sure she doesn't have a reaction to eggs.
Hazel has never been a fan of baked goods. Cookies, cakes, brownies, all get spit back out with no interest. She has never really eaten a lot of products with egg in it. The egg allergy wasn't too much of a surprise. It just didn't taste right to her.

So, as scary and inconvenient as this discovery is, thank goodness we learned about it sooner than later. Grocery shopping has taken a lot longer since I have to check all the labels (anything with traces of peanuts or manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts are out of the question). But the worst part is educating other people on her allergy. I know that she is safe in our house, it's other people that I worry about. Peanut traces on kids hands at nursery, or an adult who hands her a piece of candy without asking me. We have to carry her Epi-Pen with us wherever we go, just in case she goes into anaphylactic shock. Babysitters.....birthday parties....it's something we'll never be able to stop worrying about.
I know we'll make it and she'll grow up being a happy little girl. A lot of children have allergies these days and they are doing okay. It's just one of those "it will never happen to us" moments that we need to accept.
5 comments:
Bummer, for sure. I know you'll figure out some wonderful way to tackle this thing.
Ooh, on the plus side, now maybe you have a concrete reason to buy Nutella! Unless, of course, they make it at some peanutty type of place. In which case, boo to them!!!
Leslie and I already checked...No nutella for the Hazel..I'm sorry.
Veronica I almost always have an epi-pen on me, I have gone into anaphylactic shock several times and they have never found the reason. Scary and a pain, but totally something we can deal with. You'll learn to adjust. I'm sorry to hear that though. Good luck!
Oh, my friend. BELIEVE ME I KNOW!! If you wanna get any low-down from my 7 years of allergy experiance email or call me cuz girl, I still wanna cry when "kind" people don't understand why I'm not letting my kid eat their stuff. And I still don't get how people can't understand that a life threatening allergy is NOT the same as lactose intolorane! ha ha I'm not on a soap box, I just feel your pain. Good luck. Once you get the hang of it it will get easier. And count your blessings it's not eggs, milk, wheat, soy AND nuts - like Austin :)
email me if you want some recipes for egg-free cookies and stuff...
Nutella is okay, at least we say so.
Post a Comment