September 30, 2011

Lilia's 7th Birthday Party

Her first friend party!! As the big 7th birthday approached I started getting worried about the lack of preparation I had made for a party for Lilia. I didn't want her to feel that because the baby was coming she was going to get forgotten. I have always tried to make a big deal of her birthdays in the past, and that was with family parties. This year we had been talking about/gearing up for her first friend party. I have felt very strongly about having one for her this year since she is in a new school and this would be the perfect opportunity to get to know the kids/parents in her class.

We ended up inviting every girl in her class (15) plus a few from our church (5). I figured that most of the girls wouldn't be able to come anyway, be worried about the distance (her new school friends live about 15 min away), or just wondering who Lili was and if she had sketchy parents and not show up. We ended up having a pretty good turn out...a lot more than I thought.

After thinking up about 1,000,000 party themes, Lili settled on a "princess" theme. It's her party, fine, we'll do princesses. I rounded up some incredible girls from the neighborhood to come and assist with games/food.

The games we played: (most were my sister Leslie's ideas - thanks seester!)

Pass the Poison Apple (similar to hot potato)
Royal Relay Race (gather the woodland creatures, pick up Snow Whites Apples, "fly" on Jasmine's carpet, etc...)
The Pampered Princess Spa (made bracelets and got their nails painted)
The Royal Ball (a bunch of bouncing balls tossed in our trampoline)
and Pin the Kiss on the Frog

Prizes:

Wings, wands, rings, and necklaces...of course!

We ate:

Pizza, carrots, and pink lemonade

Other activities:

Listening to stories and opening presents

We didn't have cake and ice cream, instead, they went away with their own little cupcake to eat in the messiness of their own homes. :)

And in about 1/8 of the time we spent on preparing for the party, it was over....and I couldn't be happier that it is over. She had fun, we met her friends, it's cleaned up. Life is good! Now baby boy can come.